I don't usually open forwarded emails. Maybe it's because I have heard enough about the signs of a stroke, about conspiracy theories and the truth about UFOs But one forwarded email caught my eye enough for me to hit the open button. This email had a warning about a certain brand of cleaning product.
Apparently, a popular cleaning product that is used on the floors makes dogs sick when they lick the product off of their paws.
"Duh!" ~ 8 year old Gruppie
Big companies who hawk their so-called cleaning products have brainwashed us to think that our homes need to have an artificial smell in order to be clean. We need to stop willingly giving money to companies who combine a host of potentially lethal, fragrances ingredients into a pretty little bottle and call it a cleaner. Many of these products do just the opposite of clean. These products can pollute our indoor air quality and have lasting health affects on the people who live in our homes.
Years ago I read that housewives (who marries a house?) are 55% more likely to be diagnose cancer than their counterparts who work outside the home. It only makes sense. A person who is at home is probably going to perform most of the cleaning tasks. Closed windows + Toxic fumes = health problems.
What should clean smell like? Nothing.
What should clean look like? Nothing.
What should clean taste like? Nothing. Strange I know. But your cleaning products should be safe enough to eat.
Baking soda is my go-to product. Marker on the counter, erased. Scuff markers on the floor, erased. Stains on the fridge, erased. All with a cheap product that is so safe that you will find it in your recipe book.
Combine baking soda with water or lemon juice to make a gentle paste.
Combine baking soda with phosphate-free laundry detergent for a strong, tub cleaner.
Combine baking soda with vinegar to make a tough drain cleaner.
Use baking soda alone to absorb odor and dampness from carpets and mattresses.
All for 50 cents a box!
Happy spring cleaning!