Saturday, February 16, 2008

12:00

In honor of the beginning of February vacation and the kids having an entire week off from school, I thought that I would do a little show and tell. Thanks to Dolphyn for the great idea! Hopefully I will still be standing at the end of vacation week...a whole week in cold February.

I have been asked about how I pack Girlie's lunch for school. Is it green? Is it crunchy? Is it (gasp) prepackaged? Here it is;


My first goal is to pack a healthy lunch that fills Girlie up for the day. I want her to have the energy to learn and learn. (Do I sound like a commercial for breakfast cereal?)

Yesterday, I packed girlie a peanut butter and jelly sandwich on organic whole wheat bread (she is on a PB&J kick), organic apple juice with a splash of water, organic raisins, an organic apple and $1 to buy a snack from the cafeteria (a Friday treat).

Next, I try to be as trash-free as possible.

First, the lunch box itself wipes clean easily and can be reused. I am in love with Sigg water bottles so they always make a lunch box appearance. This bottle is their smallest model and fits perfectly in the lunch box. Then, I wrap the sandwich in waxed paper. Not perfect, but better than a plastic baggie. Then, the apple is easy. It comes in it's own edible container, so that one is a no-brainer. Next, I always pack a cloth napkin for Girlie to wipe her mouth and hands with. Her lunch neighbor once asked what that "cloth thing" was in Girlie's lunch. Finally, the raisins. Girlile is pretty good about bringing home the box so it can be recycled.

There you go. Lunch at the Gruppie house. When was the last time I had a PB&J?

4 comments:

dolphyngyrl said...

You know, I am so happy to find out that we're not the only family with the kids out of school all next week. There's about 6 school districts in our area, and ours is the only one that does this. People look at me weird when I talk about it at work! ha ha!

I love the SIGG bottle! I'm going to be picking some up for us soon, but I can't decide which one I want, much less make anyone else pin down a choice. I like the 1.5 liter bottle, but I think that might be a little too big for every day carrying around.

Hhhhmmmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Love your description of the kids' lunches! Sounds just about like what I would feed my children too.

Found you by clicking around from blogs, hope you don't mind! :)

Gruppie Girl said...

Dolphyn~Most of the kids in New England, NY and NJ have a February vacation and then an April vacation. Feb. vacation is really needed to let everyone get healthy away from the school.
Personally, I wish that I was winging off to someplace warm
Katis~So glad that you found me. Welcome!

dolphyngyrl said...

You know, I found these while hunting for Sigg bottles online. Looks like a great idea!