Saturday, January 19, 2008

Grab Your Snorkel

Last night I went out with a group of friends for drinks and food. Even though we are all well past the baby stage, talk turned to births. In relation to these friends I am definitely the most granola of the crew, so I was surprised to hear that these other woman preferred midwives over OBs. Even the doctor and nurse in the crew said that they would trust a midwife over a doctor for their pregnancy.

That got me thinking about something that changed my life for the better. Something that I wish was available to every pregnant woman out there.

During the birth of my Girlie I craved to be in the water. Water is healing. My instincts told me to find water. The only water that I could get into at the hospital was the shower. I stayed in that shower until way after my skin pruned. I stayed in that shower until the mean nurse pulled me out. That water was the only thing that calmed me down and took away the pain.

When planning my little guy's birth I remembered just how much that shower stream healed me. I dreamed of laboring and delivering in a warm birthing tub with a midwife in attendance.

My wish came true and my sweet Little Guy was born in a birthing tub with myself and my hubby. My mummy was there to see him first. Everything was exactly as I wanted it to be.

Waterbirth International is a wonderful site filled with birth stories, videos and information. Check out the "I was born in water" registry too.

As for the "Snorkel", my extended family is very into nicknames. Snorkel is my Little Guy's name because he was born in the water.

Are you wondering what my nickname is? Coo Nana Bandanna. I have no idea what my family was thinking...

No comments: